As temperatures are soaring, it’s easy to forget how much we need to drink. If you’re feeling thirsty, it’s too late. You’re already dehydrated.
Staying hydrated has so many advantages. Our bodies are made of 60% of water. Our brain needs to stay hydrated to be able to concentrate, stop us from fatigue and feeling sluggish. Water keeps our skin healthy looking, gets rid of toxins in the body and supports a healthy heart. But how can you drink enough?
You’ve probably recommended heard of the daily amount of 8x 8 oz glasses. The Mayo Clinic goes further: 13 cups (3 litres) of fluid for men and 9 cups (2.2 litres) of fluid for women. According to them, all fluids count towards the daily total. If you live in hot and humid climate like I do, you’ll need to be extra vigilant. Drink more to compensate your aspiration.
- Start your day with a glass of water. It’ll start your metabolism and boost your productivity. Shape suggests a cup of hot water to help you detox and help your weight loss plans.
- If you are fasting during the day, you’ll need to spread your water consumption over the evening and night hours.
- Throughout your day, drink regularly. Water is still deemed the best. Liven it up with lemon, raspberries, pineapple or cucumber pieces. Jamie Oliver has some additional tips.
- Put a full glass on your desk. It will remind you to drink.
- Schedule regular breaks to hydrate while working. Not only will you get a break from work and recharge. Depending on your work, you may catch up quickly with your colleagues.
- Carry a water bottle with you. When traveling, you can easily refill it.
- Drinking a glass of water before a meal has 2 advantages: You stay hydrated and are naturally curbing your appetite.
- Outside the office, set an alarm on your phone to remind yourself to drink.
- Hydration is not about liquids alone. You can also eat fruit and vegetables with a high water content. Watermelon anyone?
- When working out, increase your liquid intake. Drink before, during and after your session.
Which tips to stay hydrated would you add?
Until next time,